Gamescom: Opening Night Live just aired and there’s quite a bit to talk about. Hosted by the creator of the Game Awards Geoff Keighley, the stream featured a number of never-before-seen trailers and a slew of game developers discuss them. Here’s a summary of what we saw.
- After strutting its stuff earlier at the Inside Xbox conference, you’d think Gears of War 5 was done for the day, but we still learned a little bit more about it. Fans will be pleased to hear that 2-player co-op is a thing in Gears 5, with the option to have a third player controlling the drone Jack.
- Helicopter flight sim series Comanche makes a return after over a decade since its last installment, the trailer shows some high-octane helicopter action. This one’s being handled by THQ Nordic, a company that seems to be making waves recently.
- Need For Speed Heat gets a more fleshed-out look since its recent announcement. Set in Palm City, the upcoming racer is full of flashing lights and customization options. Players will be able to customize their drivers and cars extensively to look good as they evade the cops.
- Predator: Hunting Grounds, gives us a better feel of what it’s all about, heavily based on the original movie from 1987. Players can play as a group of four soldiers who have to take down The Predator, or be the hunter and move through the trees as you pick off your targets.
- We got a tiny look at Little Nightmares II and Kerbal Space Program 2, both of which are coming in 2020. Little Nightmares is praised for its unique horror aesthetic, and Kerbal Space Program is a game about traveling to other planets, with some very complex physics involved. Strategy game Humankind was shown, a game about advancing human society in your own way.
- Everspace 2 got an announcement, sequel to visually the visually stunning space exploration game by Rockfish Games. Unfortunately, fans will have to wait until 2021 to get their hands on this one.
- Fifa 20 introduced the Volta League, a new story mode that sees players make their way through amateur football tournaments in order to reach the top. This hearkens back to Fifa Street games, a series of games that fans have been asking to be brought back for a while.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has a 2v2 Alpha set for August 23, it will be exclusive to the PlayStation 4. This title hopes to bring back the charm of the original Modern Warfare, going back to a more realistic take on shooters.
Last, but certainly not least, Hideo Kojima took to the stage to present Death Stranding. With Death Stranding being a lot of people’s reason to tune in to this Livestream, Kojima brought with him three brand new trailers for us to puzzle over. The first two of these are character trailers that help us to get to know the diverse cast of Death Stranding. Mama is a woman who can’t leave a certain area, as she is tired to her child who was born “on the other side.” The second trailer is dedicated to Deadman, a character who shares the likeness of famous director Guillermo Del Toro. Deadman seems to be responsible for managing the Bridge Babies, informing main character Sam that they are just tools and that he shouldn’t get too attached.
Then came what everyone has been waiting for: some gameplay. It seems Death Stranding has some pretty out there mechanics, like the ability to make Sam urinate, which Kojima claims does have a practical use. If enough players pee onto one spot then it can help plants to grow. I guess that’s what he meant by players having a “connection.” With that said, it seems Kojima is still playing his cards close to his chest when it comes to bigger parts of Death Stranding. However, he did say we would see more at Tokyo Games Show – so hold out for that. Either way, we’ll find out soon when the game drops for PlayStation 4 on November 8, 2019.
That’s the Gamescom: Opening Night Live in brief. If you want to see more then check out the stream for yourself above. Let us know what games excited you the most in the comments, and stay tuned for more Gamescom news over the coming days.
Hailing from the UK, I have an unhealthy obsession with collecting Sonic merchandise. Send help.